An element a day keeps the doctor away….
In my novel, The Chemical Reaction, I’ve indulged in a spot of chemical cryptography.
While many of us are stuck indoors, here’s a little challenge to distract and entertain.
Over the next few posts, I’m going to give you the letters you need to complete a crossword, with a prize awarded for identifying the secret element.
Each post will introduce you to
- One of the characters in The Chemical Reaction
- One of the treasures from the Emperor Qianlong’s (1735-1796) jade collection
- One of the seventeen rare earth metals
- One or two of the letters you need to complete the crossword and find the missing element
|3||A toilet, it’s said.||2|
|4||Mauveine, for example? ‘E’s gone!||2|
|5||Generous bosom found in the middle of puddle||2|
|8||Meet with Len about part||7|
|9||Wound the church?||6|
|10||Provide confused sly pup||6|
|1||Overlay backed and led about to separate ore||6|
|2||Powerful and, oddly, main GCHQ toy||6|
|5||Artificial duck sitting within hide, coyly observed||5|
|6||Short man of the cloth||3|
|7||Slope hit with first powder||4|
|9||Put out in his tub||4|
(Clues set by Professor Wriggly)
- One little panda
- One rice-paper notebook
- One embroidered silk hanging
- A set of bookmarks
- Preserved cherries, tea and other Chinese delicacies
- Copies of The Chemical Reaction and The Chemical Detective
Complete the crossword and identify the extra element
Email me at
- Put the solution (a one or two letter symbol for the extra element) in the subject line
For example Na for Sodium
- Insert the completed crossword in the body of the email.
And just in case that’s too easy, anyone who adds a new mnemonic to help me remember the 17 rare earth elements will get a special prize
First hint follows – Scandium Sc
The Chemical Reaction is published by the Point Blank imprint of Oneworld and is available here.